Tuesday, July 25, 2006

At last, a rare migrant butterfly in Hampshire

With a big phew I managed to catch up with a rare migrant butterfly in Hampshire.

Just coming up to 3 o'clock in the afternoon on 25th July the pager went off saying there was a Long-tailed Blue in Hampshire and not too many miles away from work.

I quickly packed up and surfed the net to try and get site details but there wasn't much. So off I went to Bishop's Waltham, some 20 minutes drive away and fortunately the road for the nature reserve was just as I got into the village. I didn't know this as I left.

So on to the nature reserve and followed someone else who had twitched this butterfly. After an hour or so the butterfly was located but I only had a bad view in flight. Another 20 minutes and we found it again settled on a stem of grass. Excellent view but what a grotty specimen.

Here is a picture courtesy of Mike Duffy